The botanical garden covers the entire surface of a small island in the Nile, Kitchener Island, known to many as the island of plants.

It is one of the oldest parks in the world and the most important tourist attractions in the city of Aswan. It was designed by Lord Kitchener who transformed the 750 meter island into a paradise of exotic trees and plants in 1928, importing plants from the Far East, India and parts of Africa. He then used the island as a research station called the Plant Research Institute, or better known as the Botanical Island of Aswan.

There is a huge variety of plantations and trees on the island, it contains exotic types of plants and trees, along with very rare palm trees such as the Royal Palm, the Sabal Palm and the Phoenix Palm.