After fantasizing about the incredible adventure that awaits you in the savannah to see the Big Five live, the million dollar question arrives: What to put in the suitcase?
The equipment for an expedition to Africa will depend a lot on the destination, the accommodation and the characteristics of the safari. You should mainly keep two things in mind: travel light and comfortable luggage, preferably a backpack. Then, don’t forget to add the following:
- Travel documents (it is recommended to bring originals and a copy)
- Wear loose clothing, preferably cotton, in earthy or neutral colors and don’t worry if it gets dirty, you’ll end up full of dust!
- Wear comfortable high-top shoes, but not too heavy.
- An excellent camera, about two batteries, the charger, a memory with the capacity to save your photos with good resolution, these deserve them; some binoculars, a flashlight, a power adapter and a cell phone.
- Reusable container for drinking water (environmentally friendly!)
- These three objects cannot be missing: hat, sunglasses and sun protection. You are going to need them!
- Wear long pants and long-sleeved shirts at those times of the day when they are most abundant: sunrise and sunset. And also, get a good anti-insect repellent!
- Carry basic medications such as anti-inflammatories, antidiarrheals, antibiotics and painkillers on all trips.